1929 Packard 640 Custom Eight Roadster
Chassis Number: 177360
This 1929 Packard 640 Custom Eight Roadster was the least expensive body style on the 640 model-lineup, yet they are some of the most highly prized configurations today as they were on of the last of the true open cars. The early history of this car is well known. It was originally purchased on May 21, 1929 by Fredrick C. Crawford of Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Crawford sold the car 5 years later to a Lee M. Clegg and in 1949 Mr. Clegg donated the car back to Mr. Crawford for his new Crawford Auto Museum. The car remained on display in the museum and used as a promotional car for General Tires and Crawford’s own companies TRW and Thompson products for 40 years. The 640 Runabout’s was featured as a highlight of the “Sports Car in Review” at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan in 1973. In March of 1990 the car was purchased by Dr. Paul Mehes, who commissioned a complete restoration by Basom Restorations with engine work done by Bill Snyder of Northeast Ohio Restoration. The restoration was completed on January 6, 1993, and the next day this beauty attended the Baltimore Grand Classic, winning the senior award. A great article was written on this car in Packards International in 1990 and 1995.